11.27.2007

Road Trip to N. Carolina and Tennessee


View Larger Map
Tye and I went on a little road trip last weekend to Asheville, North Carolina. Since it is November it was already pretty cold, but take our breaks whenever we can get them.

The first night, we camped in a canyon just outside of Knoxville, TN (just off Winfield Dunn Pkwy I think) then drove into Asheville, NC and spent the morning checking out the town, the shops, etc. It is such a great town, I would totally live there. We also went to the Biltmore Estate but didn't go for the full tour because we were anxious to do some hiking.

After Asheville, we drove the Blue Ridge Parkway which was amazing. It is mile-after-mile of winding, tree-lined, mountainous road, I felt like I was in a car commercial. Luckily there was still quite a bit of fall color so it was pretty spectacular scenery. I made Tye stop almost every mile to get out and look and take a picture. This was my first time using my camera, so I'm still trying to get it figured out so the pictures don't do it justice.



We took the Blue Ridge Parkway all the way to the entrance of Great Smoky Mountains National Park.on Hwy 441. We stopped at the visitors center and got a map and some ideas where to hike and we were on our way. At Walker Camp, we hiked a section of the Appalachian Trail. We were basically walking the spine of the mountain that divides Tennessee and North Carolina.

After that, we drove down the other side of the mountain through Gatlinburg and ended up in Pigeon Forge, TN. Pigeon Forge is seriously THE SINGLE WEIRDEST town I have ever been in. It sort of gave me the creeps but at the same time I wanted to stay and check out every inch of it (Tye wouldn't let me). Of course there was Dollywood, and there was a Ripley's Believe It or Not museum and this crazy, crashed, upside-down place called Wonderworks. The main street was mile after mile of lazer tag, race track, batting cage, mini-mall, ice cream shop, old-time photos, mini-golf, indoor sky diving, and every themed restaurant you could possibly imagine. Also they apparently take Go-Karting really seriously in Pigeon Forge because the place was PACKED with these crazy HUGE tracks that look more like roller-coasters than go-cart tracks. The whole town was bizarre. Like a back-woods version of Disneyland or something.

Then it was back to St. Louis. Super fun trip. The End.

No comments: